I was down at the shops the other day picking up our favourite Botanica Real Food for the office’s Wellness Wednesday, when something stopped me in my path. There in the line-up out the door was a beautiful golden retriever puppy sitting placidly in her owner’s arms. The little girl came out in me and I excitedly asked to pat the gorgeous fluff ball. The lady’s eyes widened friendly, “yes of course, I only got her an hour ago and am trying to get her to meet 100 people within the first 24 hours.” I was already taken away by the puppy-love cloud, but when I realised what she said I was surprised. “Oh, 100 people?” I responded. She explained to me that puppies go through a fear imprinting stage where it is crucial to introduce the pup to a variety of positive experiences in the early stages. This experience got me thinking about the proverb ‘it takes a village to raise a child’. Such a statement is universally known, but also universally implemented. But, what people don’t normally touch on is, as adults, it also takes a village to support us throughout the up and downs of life – and the continual introduction to positive experiences really helps us, just like a puppy or child. Life was not made to be done alone, nor was it made to be done with only one other. Life was to be lived with a community.
Well-known American physician Mark Hyman brought this compelling phenomenon to light, saying “the power of community to create health is far greater than any physician, clinic or hospital.” Feeding your soul, feeding your body and feeding your heart with community has definitely played its part in my life. Even the sense of community on its own is nourishing, let along the daily interactions with it. There is a beauty in popping out the door for a wander around the neighbourhood and having to allow an extra 15 minutes for those unexpected friends you will bump into and end up chewing the fat with over the fence! There is a beauty in walking into your local coffee shop, flooded with smiles and ‘how are yous’, only to find the barista is already making your ‘regular’ before you even get to the till. There is a beauty in smelling that oh so familiar aroma stepping inside the local patisserie and fruit shop. Each to their own with where one might find this beauty, but like the proverb, it is universal. Family Clean Owner’s Joey and Rowena relish in the hustle and bustle of New Farm, Brisbane.
At Family Clean, we love local and want to share our local tips with you; so you too can feel the difference when in this neck of the woods!
- Lillipollen Floral and Foliage Design Studio…they take your request to the next level, with such a uniquely stunning way of arranging their flowers.
- New Farm Confectionery…the salted caramels and massive chocolate coated marshmallows are worth the ‘to die for’ moment on the lips, along with the lifetime on the hips too!
- Vue Lounge…fantastic service, good quality coffee and yummy breakie and lunch dishes.
- New Farm Deli…it’s a Brisbane gourmet hot spot, renowned for quality service and quality produce, with the most amazing homemade goodies and famous cheese room!
- Botanica Real Food…you will not be disappointed with these incredibly delicious and magnificently healthy wholefoods salads, quiches and treats!
- All About Fruit…their passion for fruit and veg is like not other fruit shop, and the feel of community is amazing, with the owners even collecting foreign coins for Rocco’s (Joey and Ro’s son) collection. The cashiers always remember your name and know as much local gossip to rival the Barber Shop..
- Health Place…the most un-clinical clinic in Brisbane; you will feel like you’re at a day spa. They offer great treatments from remedial massage to dietetics and dry needling.
- The New Farm Cinemas…want a real treat, this family friendly, boutique movie theatre will take you back in time to enjoy the newest films! Tickets are only $10 on Tuesdays.
- The Himalayan Cafe… when you meet the owner Gully, time stands still. Never a more truthful man, full of wisdom – who also happens to make the best Sherpa Chicken in town! Make sure you order the chilli chocolate ice cream to finish!
- The Powerhouse…this iconic building is the celebration of the arts with a difference, it always has something new for all different ages.
- New Farm Park…there’s nothing better than a lazy Sunday with friends, having a picnic in New Farm Park and watching the kids play.