Time. It all evades us when we need it most. After those important things like spending time with family and friends, working and exercising, we find ourselves at a loss as to where to fit in all the other stuff. Cleaning is something we know can, at no fault of your own, slowly slide to the bottom of the pecking order. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a little cleaning fairy come every day while you’re at work to make your home sparkle? Well, because the only fairy you might see on a daily basis lives in your children’s bedtime stories, we have put together a ‘how to speed clean’ to help keep on top of things in between your Family Clean cleans!
- If possible, pick a time when it’s just you in the house, so you can set a timer, chuck your favourite playlist and get your groovy clean on, rather than having to dodge the little rascals running around.
- If it’s not easy and at the tip of your fingers you won’t do it. Prepare a caddy of necessary tools to get the job done.
- Make the cleaning pleasurable, treat yourself with some good quality, everyday product that evoke your senses, so when you walk into the room after the atmosphere instantly lifts you (you deserve it!)
- Start where the impact will be felt most – kitchen, bathroom, and your room (it’s important to nurture your sanctuary when you have so much else in life going on).
- Start with the clutter, tidying will clear your mind and open the way for the ultimate speed clean.
- Chuck all the dirty clothes, towels, etc. in the laundry basket and put all the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. This may sound simple, but if its out of sight it’ll feel more manageable.
- Don’t get caught up in the detail. Make a list of your priorities and stick to it (it can be easy to get side tracked when you’re on a roll)
- Focus on the significant features in a room, such as the mirror, vanity, and floors in a bathroom, and everything else will feel under control.
- Spray away and let it sit to work its magic while you work on something else and then come back to wipe it all down.
- Work from top to bottom, that way you won’t accidentally re-do anything (unnecessary work can get stuffed!)
- Make those taps shine and remove all marks on surfaces, there’s something so satisfying about a sparkle!
- Take your favourite air freshener and go for a spray spree. That ‘aaaaahhhh’ feeling a fresh, clean smelling home gives you when you return after a busy day is amazing!
- Things such as making the beds and sprucing-up your coffee table, with a new arrangement or nice magazine stack, will give you a sense of much needed calm.
“Take time to enjoy the simple pleasures, replenish yourself…lighting your favourite scented candle or go to bed a little bit earlier just so you can enjoy the pleasure of clean sheets.” – Family Clean Owner Rowena
It’s the little things that you do every day, rather than it becoming a big chore that overwhelms that already flooded mind. What to pack the kids for lunch, and what after school activity they have today is more than enough to handle! But, if you schedule Mondays are for this (one little chore), Tuesday are for this (another little chore), etc. it’ll help you to keep on top of it without having a bit of a mini meltdown (we’ll leave that to the toddlers).
Organising things in such a way so everything have a place will help when it comes to the ever-growing clutter; but be realistic with this, don’t have kids shelves that are neat and tidy, just throw all their toys a big beautiful cane basket with a lid – make it easy for yourself.
Involving everyone in the family is important, the cleaning and organising of the home shouldn’t be just left up to one person (namely you who are reading this article 😉 ) Challenging the kids and giving them incentives is a great way to simultaneously occupy them on the weekends while getting stuff done.