Have you enjoyed indulging in this seasons food and festivities? I know I have! What I also have enjoyed is being able to turn the page into the new year, take a breathe and begin with that feeling of ‘aaaahhh’ that a fresh start gives. Yet, wouldn’t it be nice to hold on to this beautiful sensation of renewal all year round?
We’ve been throwing around the ‘new year’s resolutions’ banter for two weeks now and I am sure there’s those who have stuck to, and will continue to stick to their resolution for the rest of the year, but according to the books that is only the avidly dedicated 8% of us. So, why do the other 92% of us set ourselves up for failure every year? Well here’s the good news, we can get the same results of a new year’s resolution by just changing the way we look at things – and it’s all got to do with that ‘oh-so-interesting’ human behaviour called habit.
In order to successfully, positively change habits, we have to know what we’re dealing with! Phrases like “frequent repetition of an acquired mode of behaviour” or “the prevailing character of a person’s thoughts and feelings” pop up, but really, we’re all different, and it’s up to you to sit down and be honest with yourself about this thing we call habit – remember there’s not right or wrong, this is a time to be kind on yourself and make a positive change.
Let’s get started with 3 simple steps (because overloading ourselves with things to do can sometimes be a hindrance when trying to instil change)…
- Write down your goals, be specific and put them on the fridge or somewhere you will be reminded regularly. It is also a good idea to start with the broader goal and then create little goals, or stepping stones, to get there. Remember to tell family and friends to hold yourself accountable. Yet, things are never going to go exactly to plan, so be flexible with your goals too.
- Feel inspired! Know what gets your inspirational juices flowing and purposefully spark them throughout the year. Maybe put a calendar reminder in your phone every month or so with a quirky quote or personal challenge?
- Live life with intent. This is a huge one to providing meaning for yourself. Be mindful about what you want to get out of each day, and I don’t mean ticking off a to do list. For instance, if you need a rest day, take a rest day and really indulge. If you feel like you need to perk yourself up a bit, put a smile on even if you’re not feeling like it and make the effort to only surround yourself with people you know are going to lift you up (not pull you down).