Familiarity is a wonderful thing, it surrounds us with our own cozy ‘norm’. When life ebbs and flows like the tide we use our intimate environment to hold forte. Yet, on the weekend, visiting my childhood home, I sat in the lounge and looked around only to realise things were pretty much the same from when I left. Then, as I looked closer the room felt smaller, darker and I noticed some tears on the pillow cases. Time is funny like that, in can skew the familiarity that you keep close to your heart. This is when it is time to embrace change. So, I called mum downstairs and we set to work re-arranging the layout of the lounge and chucking out the old pillows, it gave the room and instant lift! I stood back, gave a sigh and almost felt myself in a moment of epiphany…I don’t need to keep coming back to the same things I may have already out grown in life or keep trying to bring something together that has already teared apart…I can take something and make it beautiful again, or simply throw out the old and bring in the new! Something as simple as revamping your home (within your budget) can give you a little inspiration you never knew was there. Family Clean owner, Joey, always says ‘let’s shake things up’ and he’s got to be doing something right with the amazing environment he has created here! So, below are some tips to shake things up in your home! Feel the difference – be the difference – time is now.
Instagram worthy displays…
- Flora and greenery just speaks good vibes and freedom in a home, so get your green thumb on and go searching in the backyard for something you can throw in to a jazzy vase (cool OP Shops can help you with the latter).
- A rustic-looking, dried out palm leaf and an orchid in that random, empty corner can give lift to the whole room.
- Grand scale framed prints can have a wow factor, without taking your breath away with the price.
- Dried willow with fairy lights in a tall, slim pot can bring that humble warmth any room could use!
- Tribal prints are out there and very ‘in’, get your bohemian luxe on within your budget at Kmart, you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
- Candles, candles, candles! They work wonders in any space and provide a beautiful aroma and light! And you don’t have to pay an exorbitant amount for the babies…lovely Organic Choice candles can be found at your local supermarket for $16.50…does Coconut & Lime, Lemongrass & Cedarwood or French Pear tickle your fancy?
- Or try out a something as simple as a book stack with succulents?
Funky furniture make-overs…
- Take an existing cabinet and give it the spruce-up it so desperately needs – try a new coat of paint and set of handles/nobs
- Or give your old coffee tray and legs a face lift – spay paint the legs a different colour, and source a new top to go with it.
We saw a beautiful vintage white cane bar cart with quaint brass wheels that could be used in a bedroom with a lovely lamp and books, or in a bathroom with nice hand towels and cosmetics, or in a dining room with quirky looking crockery…your home is your oyster!
Try taking a vintage looking chest/trunk (these can be easily bought from an OP Shop) and use it as a bohemian luxe looking coffee table.
- A modest wooden or cane board simultaneously brings simplicity and depth.
- Try looking around for a piece of art that would give the illusion of a headboard…these black and white hanging photos are a neat idea!
Revamp your living area…
- A new rug or coffee table or set of pillows (start with one so you don’t blow the budget though), it will make that lounge of yours look brand new!
- Try out a different colour scheme in your pillows and coach throw…most shops will allow you to buy them, keep the tags on and take them home to try the ‘new look’ out!
- We recently went from a dark brown rug to a lighter coloured one and it suddenly made the room lighter!
On the weekend the family and I re-positioned the lounge suite and it instantly made the room feel bigger!
Use the space to your advantage, identify the wall areas that need to be filled and then work in. Sometimes less is more.